July 17, 2014

My Art Wall and Tips on Creating an Art Wall

I recently created an Art Wall in my bedroom from some pieces that I have been collecting over the years. Art Walls are a great focal point for a room and is a very telling way to make a personal statement about your home. All the images on my Art Wall that I have collected say something about my personality and my interests.

Here is my finished Art Wall (please excuse my little mess and terrible cell phone images):


Creating an art wall is very easy! I was actually surprised at how easy the pieces all fit together. If you are having a hard time you can always lay out your pieces of art on the floor to judge how you would like them once they are hung. You can use paintings, photographs, black and white and color. Or you could even have a whole wall of mirrors (which I personally think would look really snazzy) if that is what you prefer! There is no limit to the possibilities.

Once you have your art laid out on the floor take a snap shot of the lay out with your cell phone for reference. Then experiment with a few different layouts and take a picture of each one. Now you can go back and choose the layout that you like best. Once you have chosen your lay out it is easiest to start in the center and work your way out. Find the inner most piece of art and hang that first. That piece is your focal point (like my unicorn image) as well as how you will judge where to place each piece of art from the picture of the lay out you have chosen on your cell phone.

Its best to keep your pieces at eye level. I went for a little more drastic effect and almost touched the ceiling with some of my pieces. Look at me, I am a little rule breaker. You really can do what ever you like, but you might want to try not to get too close to furniture. Keep a buffer of say, 8-10 inches. 

 Now I think all I need is a rug!

I hope these tips help you in the process of creating your very own unique art wall! Good luck!

If you have an art wall and would like to have it featured on Misanthropy Creations you can send a picture to misanthropycreations@gmail.com