July 28, 2014

Featured Artist Interview: Green Rock Creations



What you like to go by: Katie

When did you start your shop? March 2012

Is this your only job? No - I work full time as a Process Safety Engineer in Anchorage, AK. My shop is a great outlet for my creative side, which tends to be hidden in my day job. 

When did you realize you had this talent? In February 2012, I took a sewing class and bought a machine. I had a newborn daughter at the time and wanted to be able to make things for her. I haven't been sewing long, but my mom is an avid quilter and I guess it's just in my genes. 

Where do you find your inspiration? I think about the things that I need or would like to have, usually because I can't find exactly what I want in a store, and then I figure out how to make them myself. I started making burp cloths because the ones I found were so ugly and cheap. My dog collars were created because I couldn't find a cute collar that was big enough for my giant malamute. Recently I started making toddler belts because my daughters pants kept falling down! 


Who has been the most supportive of your work? I am so lucky in that everyone I know has been supportive of me! My family is very happy that I've found a great hobby and my friends are always asking me to make them gifts. I have become the go-to for baby gifts within my circle of friends - even the ones that live in other states. 

What is one thing you would like to accomplish that you haven't yet? I would like to have my items sold in local stores here in Anchorage. I just moved here from Colorado, and while a few places in Denver are carrying my items, I haven't had the time to find a great spot in Alaska yet. 


What are your other hobbies? gardening (flowers and veggies) renovating old houses, being outdoors with my dogs and family

What are your words to live by or favorite quote? Anything worth having is worth working for.

Where is the farthest you have traveled? We went to Barbados for our honeymoon in 2010 - it was amazing!

Twitter: ktrockco