April 28, 2013

The X-Files and Fringe: No Spoilers Here!

Google
As a big fan of the X-Files, after the series ended I have always looked for other shows that were similar. I own all the X-Files movies and have watched all 9 seasons of the show twice in my life, and am now moving on to my third round. You can say that I am a little obsessed. I even have the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster hanging in my living room. I don't know what it is about the show, most likely all the sexual tension between Fox Mulder and Dana Scully as well as the subject of the paranormal that has always drawn me into the series. I also grew up in New England where UFO activity is high and  accounts are widely spoken about and shared with friends and family. The show started when I was about 9 or 10 years old so in a way I grew up watching, learning and believing.

Yes, it's from the 90's so it's cheesy, but that should not stop you from watching this amazing show. You will see that as the show progresses it changes with the times. Mulder's sense of humor is on point with is "they are out to get me" attitude. If you know nothing about the show basically it's premise is about two FBI agents who are investigating paranormal activity. Mulder who believes in the inexplicable and Dana who grounds him with her scientific logic and catch 22 religious beliefs. It will draw you in and make you a believer.

Naturally I search for shows that I am interested and that usually brings me back to my old standby. If your into conspiracies, the paranormal, weird science or just a huge X-Files fan like myself you might also enjoy Fringe.

Fringe is basically about the FBI again, investigating "Fringe Science". Agent Olivia Dunham is recruited to the Fringe division after her partner and lover is killed. After being recruited she is tasked with investigating cases which share strange synchronicities. She develops a relationship with Walter Bishop a fringe scientist and his son Peter who you may remember as Percy from Dawson's Creek, who help her solve cases.

There are many similarities between The X-Files and Fringe which really drew me into the show but there are many differences as well which give Fringe it's own individuality that I can appreciate. Walter Bishop's character has an amazing sense of humor and reminds me of the Mulder I knew growing up. After watching both shows I can honestly say that hanging out with Walter Bishop and Fox Mulder, or solving cases with them would be a dream come true for me. It is my hope that one day David Duchovny will be allowed to make a guest appearance on Fringe as Fox Mulder and solve a case together!